Unprecedented Times Require Proven Leadership
The time is now for Cleveland County to unite for the continued growth and progress of our School District. As the current Vice-Chair of the Cleveland County School Board, re-election on November 3 is a vote for:
Over the last 25 years, I’ve served on the Cleveland County School Board to help make schools a great place to learn and work. As such, Cleveland County Schools has voted the best place to work in Cleveland County for in 2017, 2018, and 2019. Our scholars are thriving – Cleveland County district graduation rate is above the NC state graduation rate with a marked 25% increase since 2005.
Setting an example is necessary inside and outside of the District classrooms. As a U.S. Veteran and entrepreneur, I’m committed to the development of leadership in our youth. Over the last 20 years, I’ve mentored and helped to strengthen scholars through the Community Math Academy, CORES Group, and in many neighborhood organizations.
Committed to Diversity
Cleveland County is a growing melting pot of cultures and ethnicities. Ensuring a safe, supportive space for all students to thrive, learn, and grow is paramount to my service as a school board leader beyond 2020.
The modern workforce is changing through innovation and with a focus on sustainability. I believe that training for modern careers in technology, entrepreneurship, and skilled trades prepares students for a successful entry into socially-relevant, necessary and fruitful career paths.
In Favor of Student Advancemnt
Re-Elect Richard Hooker for Cleveland County School Board
Diversity and Inclusion In Our Families and Communities
Richard’s dedication to student learning and growth is evident through service and community partnerships. From the Cleveland County Board of Education to beyond Shelby, NC, Richard’s reach and impact through leadership is the example of dedication and persistence required to push Cleveland County Schools forward through 2020.
- Cleveland County Board of Education, 2004 – present
- Cleveland County Board of Education, Elected Vice-Chairman, 2017
- NC School Board Action Center, Board of Directors, 2017
- NC State Board of Education, Advisor, 2013-14
- NCSBA District 6, President, 2002
- Founding Member, Past President, NC Black School Board Members
- Nomination Chair, National Black Caucus, 2012
- Paul Harris Fellow, Rotary International, 2013 – present
- Man of the Year Award, Omega Psi Phi Fraternity, 2011
- NC Justice Center Award, 2011
- Community Service Award, Close the Gap Committee
- Distinguished Educator, Distinguished Image Awards. 2011
- Distinguished Service, Today’s Ebonites Woman Club
- Certificate of Achievement, NCIMED Executive Program
- Rotary Distinguished Service Citation, 2012
- Raleigh Dingman Award for School Board Leadership, 2013
- NC Human Relations Commission – Gov Hunt
- NC Human Relations Commission – Gov. Easley
- NC Dropout Prevention Committee – Gov. Perdue
- NC Charter School Advisory Committee – Gov. Perdue
- NC Parent Advisory Committee – June Atkinson
Improving the Educational Future of Cleveland County
Join us in helping to make Cleveland County School one of North Carolina's top 10 school districts.
Leave a note below and get involved!